If you use Google Search or have a business you need to take 4 minutes to watch this
Google has changed the way it shows local businesses online
If you don’t have speakers the main points of the video are outlined below.
Google wants to help you find the best business in your location and this Google change makes the decision-making process easier when searching for and choosing a local business.
To achieve this, Google has reduced the number of businesses shown on the first page for laptops and desktops.
For a typical local search there used to be 7 local businesses. This has been reduced and you now only see 3 local businesses displayed.
We first noticed this during testing last month and it appears to have been rolled out worldwide on Friday the 7th August 2015
This is a major change to Google local search for desktop computer searches and we have also noted major changes for searches done using mobile devices. This video is focused on the desktop changes and we are producing a separate video for mobiles searches.
We have used Dentists in Liverpool for this example, but the same applies to all businesses and locations.
When searching Google for a Dentist in Liverpool
You now see
The local map
Then the 3 Best Dentists based on Google’s Ranking which displays
- The name of the businesses with their
- Google Reputation Score
- Google Star Rating
- Number of Google Reviews
- The type of business from the main category listed in Google
- Their Street address
- If they are currently open or closed
- Click the Globe to visit their Website
- Click the Directions arrow to get detailed Google Maps directions
Below these 3 Dentists is a “More Dentists” button to get additional information.
You can make decisions here by comparing these 3 businesses against each other
You can choose the most trusted business based on their reputation
- Saving Faces Dental Practice has a 4.4 Google Reputation Score and a 4.5 Star Rating based on 11 Google reviews
- Royal Liverpool University Dental Hospital has no Google Reputation Score or Star Rating despite actually having 4 reviews
- Ollie and Darsh have a 5.0 Google Reputation Score and a 5 Star Rating based on 76 Google reviews
You can choose a dentist that is open now, if you need to visit a dentist urgently
- Saving Faces Dental Practice is open until 13:30
- Royal Liverpool University is closed today
- Ollie and Darsh is closed today
You can choose based on the main Google Category
- Saving Faces Dental Practice are listed as a Dental Clinic
- Royal Liverpool University are listed as a Dental Hospital
- Ollie & Darsh are listed as an Orthodontist
The map allows you to choose the closest based on convenience
If you need more information
Maybe their telephone number
- You can click and go directly to their Website
- You can get detailed Directions to find them by going directly to Google Maps
- Or click on the Dentists Business Name for more information
If you need to look at more dentists, click the “More Dentist” button
Clicking on both the “Business Name” or “More Dentists” take you to a brand new Google page
- On this page your eyes are drawn to the bright orange number in the centre of page
- this is the Reputation Score that Google has given the business
- You can see how this score is achieved from the Review Summary bar chart
- Below the Reputation Score there are snippets taken from their reviews
- Below this are their latest reviews in full with the dates they were written
- Look for the “Response from the Owner” as this shows how the business responds to reviews
- You can also read all of their previous reviews
The left column shows you the best 20 dentists based on Google’s Ranking and clicking on each dentist here shows all the information you need in the centre column without having to do any further searching.
All this information in Google Search helps you make a decision about which Dentist you will choose, without looking at local or industry-specific websites
To discover how to increase your Reputation Score and to get your business found in the new Google pages
Call us directly on +44 (0) 1270 747 011